Nut Trees – Kids
Not only do nut trees provide us with oxygen, they also provide us with food.
Nuts are one of the healthiest snacks you can eat as they keep our brains and bodies healthy.
Did you know that peanuts are not a tree nut, but belong to the legume family!
Activity 1 - Make a Trail Nut Mix
You will need:
- 5 macademia nuts (or macademia pieces)
- 10 fair trade cashews (or cashew pieces)
- 15 pecans (or pecan pieces)
- 20 hazelnuts (or hazelnut pieces)
- 25 chocolate chips
- 30 raisons
- mixing bowl
1) Count out your ingredients and lay them out in groups in order from smallest to largest.
2) In a large mixing bowl, mix all of your ingredients.
3) Enjoy some of your nut trail mix as a delicious and nutritious snack!
Activity 2 - Research Healthy Nuts
Nuts are one the healthiest snacks we can eat.
Here’s a list of some nuts and the nutrition they provide. What is the health benefit for each of these powerhouses?
1) Brazil nuts are the highest food source for the mineral selenium. What does our body need selenium for?
2) Hazelnuts are a fantastic source of Vitamns A, B and E. Why does our body need each of these vitamins?
3) Pecans are packed with antioxidants. What are antioxidants and why are they good?
4) Macademia nuts are loaded with healthy monounsaturated fatty acids. What are monounsaturated fatty acids and why are these beneficial?
5) Pistachios are high in fiber. Why do we need fiber?
Activity 3 - Make Brazil Nut Milk or Brazil Nut Butter
Brazil nut milk
You will need:
- nut milk bag,
- 1 cup of Brazil nuts,
- 2 cups of water,
- 1 vanilla bean (optional),
- and a pinch of sea salt (optional)
Step 1: Soak the brazil nuts for 8 hours in a large covered bowl of water (you may simply place a towel over the bowl to cover it). If you are using vanilla bean, add it to the nuts to soak as well.
Step 2: Get rid of the soaking water and rinse the Brazil nuts and vanilla bean.
Step 3: Blend the Brazil nuts, vanilla bean, sea salt, and 2 cups of water in a high-powered blender.
Step 4: Strain the mixture through a nut milk bag; be sure to squeeze out the access liquid (you can keep the leftover nut pulp to add to smoothies).
Step 5: Serve and enjoy!
Brazil nut butter
You will need:
- a high-powered blender
- 1 cup of Brazil nuts
- ½ tbsp of sweetener (optional-agave or coconut nectar)
- ¼ tsp of sea salt
- 1 glass jar
Step 1: Add all ingredients to high-powered blender
Step 2: Blend well on high-speed for 5-10 minutes, or until mixture is creamy
Step 3: Pour into a glass jar and enjoy!
Activity 4 - Nut Tree Physical Activity
On ten cards, write down the following:
Card 1: Brazil Nut Tree = 1 push up
Card 2: Chestnut Tree = 2 somersaults
Card 3: Pine Nut Tree = 3 sit ups
Card 4: Walnut Tree = 4 bear crawls
Card 5: Almond Tree = 5 burpees
Card 6: Cashew Tree= 6 crab walks
Card 7: Hickory Nut Tree = 7 squats
Card 8: Macadamia Nut Tree = 8 skips
Card 9: Pecan Tree= 9 jumping jacks
Card10: Pistachio Tree = Crazy dance move
Shuffle your cards and lay them face down. Pick a card and do the exercise on the card. Once you have finished that exercise shuffle the cards and place them face down again. Keep going until you feel you have done a good workout for the day!
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO BECOME AN EARTH PROTECTOR!
1) Make sure your household and school are buying environmentally friendly toilet paper. Did you know that most of the large toilet paper companies refuse to use recycled or alternative fiber when making their toilet paper? Instead they continue to source from beautiful forests which destroys the habitat for many species.
2) Plant a nut tree! Research the best type of nut tree to plant in your region. Ask a local nursery or tree care company if they would be willing to donate a small nut tree for you to plant in your neighbourhood. Ask permission to plant your nut tree at your school or local park. Remember you’ll have to weed and water your tree until it’s established.